1.2.09

Something's Gotta Give - Paintings by Kenton Nelson


                                                                                                          Paintings in Something's Gotta Give / Image from movie Something's Gotta Give

Kenton Nelson's paintings and artwork have appeared in numerous films over the years including, Father of the Bride II, The Parent Trap, What Women Want, Mission Impossible 3, and perhaps most famously seen here in Something's Gotta Give, with a special recognition by Jack Nicholson. The painting shown is titled Swim Party.
 
                                                                                                                                           Paintings in Something’s Gotta Give

Something's Gotta Give
Image from movie Something's Gotta Give

The painting seen in the entry of this famous movie set (Something's Gotta Give) is by Kenton Nelson

image
Paintings in Something's Gotta Give / Image from movie Something's Gotta Give

The painting of the Lighthouse in the Family Room of the set Something's Gotta give is also by Kenton Nelson.

Kenton Nelson was born in 1954 in Los Angeles. He attended Long Beach State University then the Otis Parsons Art Institute, and for the past 27 years has been operating an art studio in Pasadena. He has been on the faculty of the Otis Parsons Art Institute in Los Angeles and the Academy of Art in San Francisco.

imageimageimage

image image

The New Yorker has used Kenton Nelson for cover images over the years.

[cover+1.jpg][cover+2.jpg][cover+4.jpg]

Top picture of Something's Gotta Gove Image from movie Something's Gotta Give by Linda Merrill of Surroundings
Picture 2 & 3 of Something's Gotta Give Cote de Texas All other photos from Artist's web-site Paintings in Something's Gotta Give

PATRICIA GRAY INC is an award winning interior design firm writing about the world of interior design, architecture, lifestyle, and travel.
2011 © Patricia Gray | Interior Design Blog™

26 comments:

  1. Thank you for the introduction to a wonderful artist.
    It is a treat to get to know something about the creative person behind the beautiful artwork.

    xo

    Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the shading and lighting he uses in his work. It reminds me of the Fountainhead era.

    The movie is one I own because of the set...as is the HOliday, and Under the Tuscan Sun.

    Anyway, nothing like a good chic flic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this post! I have always admired the "Swim Party" painting in "Something's Gotta Give"... never thought to research who the artist was..Glad to know it now! Have a Great Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the movie Somethings gotta give, thanks for the info about the artist.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm very drawn to all of these images...what a wonderful post. And I love Something's Gotta Give...both the story and the Hampton's house in it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous1/2/09

    I love this movie and have always the artwork, but never know who the artist was. Thanks for telling and showing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the paintings..... also love whoever designed the interiors for Something's Got to Give... great blog

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this artist. Loved the paintings in this movie when I saw it, happy to know who it is. . . it's such an education reading your blog! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful meeting of art, the movies, and interior design!
    xo xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous2/2/09

    One of my favorite movies.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous2/2/09

    Love his work. Have heard him compared to de Lempicka but I think a more apt comparison is with Lawren Harris. Their is a vibrancy and radiance to the work that shines through. Anyway, thanks for the post. Wonderful as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the interiors on the set... artwork/illustrations great!
    ENJOY your week!
    Fifi

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would love to own one of these pieces. I adored the film and the picture on the mantel really stood out in the surrounding interior. So glad to read a post on this artist. Thanks, hope you have a lovely weekend! Hayley

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous6/2/09

    This is one of my favourite movies and now I know who the artisit is.
    Thank-you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous6/2/09

    What an amazing artist. I love the way he uses color and form. I could gaze at his pictures for hour and never get bored.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great post! It's nice to see those paintings so close up...talented artist!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous8/2/09

    Great..thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Becky26/6/09

    Something's Gotta Give is my favourite movie. I love the artwork and paintings and the set design in this movie. I never knew who that the artist was Kenton Nelson - very talented man...thanks for the inside scoop.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you, Thank you!!!
    I have always wondered about this wonderful painting in one of my favourite movies, drool worthy interior and great dialogue too!

    Rory and Trish

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous19/10/09

    I love the beach house. I’ve trying to find some of the artwork from the movie, especially the beach scene in the living room. I think it’s called rockaway beach. I can’t find anything. Can anyone help?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beverly, I found a place for the Rockaway oil painting and some of the others. They’re called canvas replicas out of utah. www.canvasreplicas.com Love the beach house!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anonymous22/11/09

    It is very interesting for me to read this article. Thanx for it. I like such topics and everything connected to this matter. I definitely want to read more soon.

    ReplyDelete
  23. mhleslie@charter.net24/10/10

    Love the paintings! You have great taste! Reminds me of "the workers who made the shoes painting" and "Rio umbrellas painting"

    ReplyDelete
  24. Complimenti per il tuo bellissimo blog. Clementina

    ReplyDelete
  25. Colleen17/3/11

    I loved everything about the interior in this movie. As a matter of fact, I found myself focusing more on the interiors trying to memorize them. But, of course, love the movie too.

    Please can someone let me know where I can find the artist whose painting hung over the master bed..the room where Diane slept. It was an abstract landscape. I absolutely love it and want one!!!

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  26. Bonnie Palson30/10/14

    Just watched the movie three or four more times, always see somthing new.........just stunning.

    ReplyDelete

Patricia Gray | Interior Design Blog™

I love to hear your comments and welcome your thoughts and feedback. Please use the comment form as a discussion format pertaining to the topic at hand.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...