29.6.10

Furniture IS Lifestyle - DEDON LAUNCHES “COMING HOME”, A LIMITED-EDITION BOOK BY BRUCE WEBER

 Dedon Lifestyle Advertising What are you doing this summer
DEDON LAUNCHES “COMING HOME”, A LIMITED-EDITION BOOK BY BRUCE WEBER

I love the new lifestyle advertising campaign that the Dutch company Dedon, a manufacturer of outdoor furnishings, has launched.  You may have seen the ads for this Dedon campaign in some of the recent Design magazines - Dedon is selling their furniture as lifestyle.  DEDON takes its collaboration with legendary American fashion photographer Bruce Weber to a next level with the publication of a new book Coming Home, a sumptuously produced, limited edition book. Building on themes that Weber developed for the current DEDON advertising campaign, Coming Home is an exploration into the meaning of home and the feelings we hold for it. Personal, poetic and eclectic, the book weaves together exclusive imagery by Bruce Weber with artwork and illustrations specially commissioned by the photographer. Watch the Dedon movie in large format here, or on YouTube here.  The music and imagery are spectacular.  The movie starts with a quote from the movie Out of Africa - the words of Denys Finch Hatton, played by Robert Redford: “I don’t want to live someone else’s idea of how to live.”

Dedon Lifestyle Advertising  
DEDON “COMING HOME”, A LIMITED-EDITION BOOK BY BRUCE WEBER

Dedon Lifestyle Advertising
DEDON “COMING HOME”, A LIMITED-EDITION BOOK BY BRUCE WEBER

Dedon Lifestyle Advertising
DEDON “COMING HOME”, A LIMITED-EDITION BOOK BY BRUCE WEBER

Dedon Lifestyle Advertising 
DEDON “COMING HOME”, A LIMITED-EDITION BOOK BY BRUCE WEBER
A multilevel treehouse, a cast and crew of 60 people with legendary fashion photographer Bruce Weber keeping it all together.

Dedon Lifestyle Advertising
DEDON “COMING HOME”, A LIMITED-EDITION BOOK BY BRUCE WEBER

When I first saw the Dedon ad campaign, by Bruce Webber I was mesmerized by it.  Some people I have talked to just don’t get it. 
After all Bruce Webber was the photographer for the controversial ad campaign for Calvin Klein in the 90’s, and
Webber also photographed a shirtless Chris Isaak in bed for a fashion spread in Rolling Stone
Dedon says about Coming Home “…….it is an exploration into the meaning of home and the feelings we hold for it.”
I say that ‘Furniture IS Lifestyle’ and has as much of a message to say about how we live as Fashion does!

What do you think about ‘Lifestyle Advertising?’  Leave your comment here.

 PG Dedon 1 Article AD SpainPG Dedon 2 Article AD Spain 
PG Dedon 4 Article AD SpainPG Dedon 3 Article AD Spain
DEDON “
COMING HOME”, A LIMITED-EDITION BOOK BY BRUCE WEBER Architectural Digest Spain - May 2010
Postscript:  These are scans from a Spanish magazine that my friend and fellow blogger Ivan Meade sent to me after I published this article.

PATRICIA GRAY INC is an award winning interior design firm writing about lifestyle and WHAT'S HOT
in the world of interior design, architecture, art and travel.
2011 © Patricia Gray | Interior Design Blog™

24 comments:

  1. Wow, I hadn't seen these ads yet! They are so intriguing, and some of them have a touch of whismy as well! I'll be looking out for them in the magazines now...
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool is this advertising campaign!!!!what an acute sensibility to life and living this wonderful photographer/film maker has. The fabulous outdoor furniture becomes part of a special untouched space of our beautiful world.We forget how wonderfully stylish nature is on its own and then just to add our own touches and objects of beauty and comfort.What brings it all together is the people - their love and interaction. Fashion and lifestyle advertising can teach our younger and media influenced generation how to enjoy and nurture their lives and their surroundings in a wholesome way.Thank you so much for posting this link on your site!
    patrizia x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love their ad campaign...to have Bruce webber!!! i specify their pieces quite often as they are such a perfect interpretation of indoor/outdoor living.
    Cannot wait to get the book!
    btw, I will be in Paris and staying at l'Hotel. I think my husband is coming along. Will you be going?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this campaign. I saw the advertisement first on AD Spain and it is actually edgier/some nudity.

    I think is really cleaver to showcase all lifestyles in one single shot.

    One word comes to mind - Memorable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Patricia, this is a beautiful post but made me think a lot.
    A lifestyle or a DREAM of a lifestyle? "I don't want to live someone else's idea of how to live?" Look at them...all gorgeous and so happy, all very young people, a part of the older couple passionately kissing, yes keep dreaming.
    To tell you the truth even if I think this is a brilliant campaing with gorgeous images I am a bit tired of seeing only youth and beauty to advertise things that can enhance lifes of many, no matter if old or young, beautiful or below average, healthy or not.
    This ad definetely says "this is how you should live!" despite the quote at the beginning of the movie.
    I would buy Dedon because they certainly create great furniture not because they create a dream.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, Ralph Lauren have been doing it for some time now.
    These shots are beautiful and fascinating. A clever way to elevate Dedon into the 'furniture to aspire to' league.
    So yes, I'd say furniture is lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete
  7. this ad campaign is AMAZING... i am always intrigued by lifestyle photographs and esp from the master himself...brilliant. xx pam

    ReplyDelete
  8. M-J Dale28/6/10

    The adds are a bit pretentious, but interesting. Actually, it's been done before if you look at Avedon's fashion photos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it! and Get it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had not seen this ad campaign, but I think it is very clever. I agree that furniture is a lifestyle. The whole thing kind of reminds me of the show Brothers and Sisters. Kind of like our family. A real mix. Have a great 4th.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I luv it and I so get it!
    Clevah! Very Clevah!!!

    L.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't get it? What are you trying to show in those images? Although all shots are fantastic and perfect. And your blog is one of the best.

    ReplyDelete
  13. But for me the images are really fantastic and the people inside this is make this post attractive.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think it is interesting, but I heaved a sigh when I got to the picture with the buff, shirtless young man. I get it. That's Bruce's trademark. But does a buff, shirtless young man need to be in EVERYTHING he shoots? Apparently. Not that I don't like a buff, shirtless young man, but YAWN.

    The beginning pictures are very nice, though.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Christy12/7/10

    This is a unique way of spreading the word. I loved the art work shown by Bruce Weber in such a lovely style.

    ReplyDelete
  16. fabulous images, you have a gorgeous blog, I am following! Have a sweet day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. i love this ad, this is great art

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cool picture and people.. Love your shots..

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great shot and images.. I know what camera your using.. keep it up.. nice one

    ReplyDelete
  20. fantastic array of pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  21. “I would like to spend my whole life traveling if I could borrow another life to stay at home.”
    This quote totally blowed me away! I think this add is a very different way of advertizing furniture, a very good innovative one. People usually forget how important those pice selections are and how influential they are in our lives. I am an interior design student and I struggle on trying to show people how important the space we live in is, how it affects every single aspect of our lives.
    This is a great add, CONTROVERSIAL! Of course but well oriented.
    Francesca Mayer
    www.conversedesignmayer.blog.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. My husband and partner, Richard Frinier, has designed for Dedon for about 20 years now. It is a privilege to know and work with Dedon and we are very happy for them with this remarkable ad campaign and also their Tour du Monde and blogazine. Love your blog. Thank you! - Catherine and Richard Frinier

    ReplyDelete
  23. Seems like a really good read.

    ReplyDelete

Patricia Gray | Interior Design Blog™

I love to hear your comments and welcome your thoughts and feedback. Please use the comment form as a discussion format pertaining to the topic at hand.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...